Saturday 13 July 2013

The Bongo Cajon- My New Found Love

I visited 'Veena Musicals' in Jayanagar, Bangalore with a friend on the spur of the moment. There was no plan, except that he wanted a new guitar case. On we purred on a purring Royal Enfield, my behind 'brrrrrring' comfortably. We 'krrrrr'ed' into the small porch in front of the store and off we got. The shop had a simple look to it and while my friend began to converse with the shop 'guy' I took off to explore the different percussion instruments available. I played a djembe, a darbuka, a djembe again but somehow my gaze went to a wooden thing that looked like a shoe shelf lying on a shelf in the store. I had no clue. The 'guy' told me it was a 'bongo cajon'. ' Ding' then it struck me, it was a smaller version of the Cajon and could be played like a bongo between your thighs.Interesting isn't it?

I played, tripped, played,tripped, played, tripped, smiled, tripped, played, tripped, and then everything from the lovely wooden finish to the sleek black surface and the beautiful sounds it produced, just drew me into its core being. It was love at first site, I loved the feel of it, the smell of it, and yeah, as you can probably imagine, I bought it. Off we 'krrrr'ed' into the dark roads of Jayanagar, and my dear friend dropped me off somewhere close to home.

Now, comes the most amazing part. I tripped all night on my 'Bongo Cajon'. I slapped, touched, poked, it in different ways and every slap or poke elicited a nice,unique sound. It was delightful to play it while listening to music. I was still raw yesterday, trying to get the hang of it. I like experimenting with instruments, learning them on my own, because teachers never worked for me except when I learnt the keyboard. Most of the instruments I know I learnt either by being taught the basics by a family member, or just picking it up totally on my own. I am determined to pick the ' BC' as I will call it from now, on my own too.

I came home today after quite a tough, tiring day and first thing I did was play the ' BC'. I played different beats, and vented all my pent up negative energy channelling it into creating something positive out of the drum. It is such a mind blowing experience, and I got lost in the 'BC'. It took over, I let it take over, it led me, my hands just followed, fingers themselves just moved, everything worked in synchrony and that was an awe-striking moment. It became a part of me, my being and it was as if, it was soothing me, knowingly. The 'BC' absorbed all my energy and transformed that into something so refreshing. I feel rejuvenated, and I am so grateful for that beautiful instrument and I am looking forward to it blending with other musicians playing their instruments soon.

And...yes, It is my new found love.

No comments:

Post a Comment